My uncle celebrated his 70th birthday this week, so Papa through him a dinner party. 12 was a bit of a squeeze around the table, but the food was great and the wine plentiful, and that’s what counts! Papa was chef, and I has able Lieutenant in the kitchen.
- To start there was a chicken broth with stelline pasta (tiny little star shaped pasta), garnished with chopped coriander.
- Next there was a small portion of pasta, with a prawn and cream sauce, with lots of chopped parsley throughout.
- The main was roast venison (Fletcher’s, of course) with roast potatoes, new potatoes, roast sweet potatoes and steamed carrots and peas. There was homemade gravy on the side, and rowan jelly too.
- Dessert was a lemon mousse, made by Mum. It was served in wine glasses, topped with freshly whipped cream and blueberries.
- The last course was a cheeseboard, with homemade wheat & rye bread and oatcakes, and grapes and celery on the side. More on the cheese later…
This menu is one that Papa has been perfecting for a while – delicious, deceptively simple to make, and filling (it’s all the courses that does it!).