I was home alone last night and was very tempted to treat myself to pizza! And I did, but it was a very Slimming World-friendly pizza. I think this is a great meal, and a good substitute for pizza – note it is also low-carb and gluten-free!
- Take one breast of chicken. Butterfly the breast*, sandwich between two pieces of cling film, and beat with a rolling pin until tin – be careful not to make any hole in the breast!
- Place the breast in a non-stick baking tray or roasting pan and cook in a hot oven for 5-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Once cooked, top the breast with some pizza sauce.
I made the sauce by cooking: a finely chopped onion and a clove of crushed garlic until softened; added 300g passata; a splash of balsamic vinegar; and a mix of oregano, basil, sage and thyme. I let it simmer until it was somewhat reduced.
- Add your toppings of choice: I went with sliced mushrooms and asparagus spears.
- Top with cheese.
- Cook in the oven until the cheese is melted and the toppings are cooked
*Place the breast on the counter so the smooth side is facing up. With the edge of a knife parallel to the counter, begin cutting down the length of the side of the breast. Carefully slice the breast in half width-wise almost to the other edge. Keep that edge intact and open the breast along the “fold.”
Slimming World Syns: this recipe is Syn Free on Extra Easy, bar the cheese. There are lots of low-Syn cheese options, including reduced-fat cheddar and reduced-fat mozzarella. I went with Parmesan, which is what we keep in the fridge.
We had a few lonely new potatoes, rescued from the garden, and potato salad seemed like a fitting solution.
- Cut up the larger potatoes so that all the potatoes pieces are about the same size – we had some really wee new potatoes! Cook the potatoes. Leave to cool.
- Stir through the cooked potatoes a mayo/fromage frais mixture: 1 part of low fat mayo to 1 part fat free fromage frais.
- Add chopped chives.
- Add a handful of tinned sweetcorn (drained).