I don’t do roast beef very often, and I’m not sure why. I think I must think it takes longer to roast than I think it does. I reality this 0.75kg roast took about 40 mins to cook to medium rare, which was pretty short and sweet really.
- The piece of meat was about 1kg in all, before I cut off as much of the fat as I could.* I rubbed down the meat with pinch salt and pepper.
- The roast recipe book we have said every 500g meat off the bone needed 20 minutes to be medium (15 for rare, 25 for well done**) so I figured a little over 30 minutes should do it for our wee roast.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 8. Cook the meat for the first 15 minutes at this high temperature, then turn down to Gas Mark 3 for the remainder.
- After 30 minutes the meat thermometer said it needed a little longer, so I kept an eye on the thermometer until the meat was at the appropriate temperature. The meat thermometer is a Godsend, and well worth the investment.
And, of course, it was served up with Slimming World roast potatoes. These were sprinkled with garlic butter seasoning, so they ended up good and seasoned and garlicky.
Slimming World Syns: with all visible fat removed from the meat the roast is Syn free. Make sure and have a salad on the side to make up you one third Super Free.
* There was quite alot of meat marbled through some of the fat, which I cooked separately and Hubby ate.
** For meat on the bone: 12 for rare, 15 for medium, 20 for well done.