When I asked for inspiration for what to do with a tub of mascarpone a friend suggested tiramisu. The recipe on inside the lid of the tub suggested the same! But it was all a bit last minute, so I had to improvise ingredients…
Normally you’d start with sponge fingers as the base, but all our local shop had to offer was a chocolate Swiss roll.
And the only dark chocolate they had was Bournville, which was fine for these purposes.
1/2 a chocolate Swiss roll, cut in to 1cm slices
1 tbsp sweet sherry
1 shot of espresso coffee
3 heaped tbsp greek yoghurt
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
1/2 vanilla essence
1 square dark chocolate, grated
- Start with a layer of sponge fingers in the bottom of your dish; I used a layer of 1cm thick slices of the chocolate Swiss roll
- Drizzle with a very little sweet sherry and the coffee – make sure this is evenly distributed across the sponge
- Top the sponge with the mascarpone mix
- Top with the grated chocolate
- Leave in the fridge while the flavours combine until ready to serve.